Math Placement Test (MPT)
The Math Placement Test (MPT) is a free test offered by the University of Cincinnati to applicants. The purpose of the test is to determine a student's mathematic abilities in the following subjects:
The test is taken online for approximately one hour while being proctored virtually by a Testing Services Office. While taking the test, a student is permitted to use paper and pencil/pen to complete the math equations, but may not use a calculator or any other help from a friend, family member, or teacher. The final score report is available immediately after taking the test.
Become familiar with the test and refresh your skills by completing the MPT sample questions.
Mathematics preparation also offered through UC tutoring videos.
Application & Scholarship Requirement
International Admissions requires that each applicant show their math ability for admission* and scholarship review. To do this a student can submit their SAT or ACT test results. If a student didn't take the SAT or ACT, they may request to take the MPT. Both options are viewed equally though our application review process.
*A student applying to a program in the College of Arts & Sciences, College of Education, Criminal Justice, and Human Resources, UC Blue Ash Campus, and UC Clermont Campus aren't required to show math ability. However, it's encouraged to submit a test of math ability for scholarship review.
*The College-Conservatory of Music has different requirements for test of math ability. Contact CCM Admissions for requirements.
Register for the MPT
Requirements to Register
- Must be an international student
- Must have submitted your Common Application and paid the $100 application fee
Testing Day Requirements
- A government issued ID with your name written in English that matches the name on your application
- A laptop/computer that has a strong connection to the internet
- A camera and microphone built-in the laptop/computer or an external webcam
- Google Chrome search engine app (free)
- Zoom, WebEx, or Teams web browser extension. Zoom is preferred. (download free)