Math Placement Test (MPT)
The Math Placement Test (MPT) is a free test offered by the University of Cincinnati to applicants. The purpose of the test is to determine a student's mathematic abilities in the following subjects:
The test is taken online for approximately one hour while being proctored virtually by staff from the Testing Services Office. While taking the test, a student is permitted to use paper and pencil/pen to complete the math equations, but may not use a calculator or any other help from a friend, family member, or teacher. The final score report is available immediately after taking the test.
Application & Scholarship Requirement
International Admissions requires that each applicant show their math ability for admission* and scholarship review. To do this a student can submit their SAT or ACT test results. If a student didn't take the SAT or ACT, they may request to take the MPT. Both options are viewed equally though our application review process.
*A student applying to a program in the College of Arts & Sciences, College of Education, Criminal Justice, and Human Resources, UC Blue Ash Campus, and UC Clermont Campus aren't required to show math ability. However, it's encouraged to submit a test of math ability for scholarship review.
*The College-Conservatory of Music has different requirements for test of math ability. Contact CCM Admissions for requirements.
Requirements to Register
- Must be an international student
- If you are not an international student taking this test to complete an application or scholarship requirement, do not register here.
- Must have submitted your Common Application
Test Days, Times, and Time Zone
- Tuesdays: 8:00 a.m., 9:00 a.m., 5:00 p.m.
- Thursdays: 8:00 a.m.
- Eastern Standard Time (EST)
Testing Day Requirements
- A government issued ID with your name written in English that matches the name on your application
- A laptop/computer that has a strong connection to the internet
- A camera and microphone built-in the laptop/computer or an external webcam
- Google Chrome search engine app (free)
- Zoom, WebEx, or Teams web browser extension. Zoom is preferred. (download free)