Cincinnatus Excellence Scholarship
The University of Cincinnati is committed to supporting academically promising students with the drive to succeed in a college environment. The Cincinnatus Excellence Scholarship recognizes the strong academic achievements of National Merit Scholarship Program Finalists and National Hispanic Recognition Program Scholars.
Please review the Scholarship Benefits as well as the Steps to Becoming a Cincinnatus Excellence Scholar. If you have additional questions, do not hesitate to contact the Undergraduate Office of Admissions or Benedetta Khoury at 513-556-6359 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
In-state tuition, fees, and on-campus room funding – an annual value of approximately $18,000 (a $72,000 value over four years)
- The scholarship will cover the cost of current University of Cincinnati full-time, in-state tuition and fees. Non-OH residents are required to pay applicable Metropolitan (Metro) Rate or other non-resident tuition surcharges.
- Students who are not eligible for the in-state tuition rate, Metro rate, Reciprocity rate, or the National Outreach Award will receive the Cincinnatus $3,000 Out-of-State Award in addition to their Cincinnatus Excellence Scholarship
A one-time award of $1,500 while enrolled at Cincinnati for use toward one of the following, based on a student-submitted proposal:
- Desktop or laptop computer purchase
- Study abroad experience (must grant University of Cincinnati credit)
- Undergraduate research opportunity
Automatic invitation to the University Honors Program, offering experiential learning related to the themes of global studies, leadership, community engagement, research, and creativity
On-campus room funding - The scholarship will also cover the Cincinnati Multiple Occupancy Traditional room rate for students living in on-campus residence halls or University of Cincinnati affiliated housing*
- Students assume the responsibility of meal plan and any added costs beyond the Multiple Occupancy Traditional room rate
- If a student chooses to live off campus, their housing will not be covered by the Cincinnatus Excellence Scholarship
Please Note: Recipients remain responsible for all expenses not specifically described as a benefit of the Cincinnatus Excellence Scholarship. This includes but is not limited to books and supplies, supplemental texts, meal plan, room charges while on cooperative education (co-op) or other experiential learning opportunities while students are not enrolled in classes, and other personal expenses.
*Affiliated housing is limited to direct leases with University Park Apartments only or by assignment via a block-lease through Cincinnati Housing to an off-campus housing facility.
Steps to Becoming a Cincinnatus Excellence Scholar
Submit a complete application for admission and all required supplemental materials to the University of Cincinnati by December 1 of your senior year
Notify the University of Cincinnati of your status as a National Merit Scholarship Program Finalist or National Hispanic Recognition Program Scholar by March 1 of your senior year
- Email a copy of the award notification letter (not certificate) that was mailed to the student’s home address to email@example.com or send by US mail to:
Attention: Benedetta Khoury
University of Cincinnati
PO Box 210091
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0091
Wait to view your financial aid package which will be made available online. At this time you will be notified of your reception of the Cincinnatus Excellence Scholarship. This typically occurs prior to March 31 of your senior year.
Declare the University of Cincinnati as your first choice school through the National Merit Scholarship Corporation website by May 1 of your senior year (National Hispanic Scholars are not required to complete this step)
Confirm your admission and complete paper or electronic scholarship acceptance forms by May 1 of your senior year
Terms and Conditions of the Cincinnatus Excellence Scholarship
The award is renewable for 8 full-time, in-class semesters provided the 3.2 GPA and annual 30-hour community service requirement are met
The scholarship can be used fall, spring, and summer semesters for full-time tuition and fees and residence hall room charges for a maximum of eight (8) full-time semesters or within five (5) years of the initial scholarship semester, whichever is less (co-op terms are not charged full-time tuition and are therefore not counted toward the 8-semester limit nor are they eligible for scholarship funding)
Enrollment: The recipient is required to be a full-time student during each semester that is covered by the scholarship
Academic requirements for renewal/continuance:
- Recipients must maintain satisfactory academic progress toward a bachelor’s degree, earn 12 credit hours each semester, and maintain a 3.2 minimum university GPA
- Recipients must complete 30 hours of community service per academic year, submitted each June to the Scholarship & New Student Financial Aid Center
- If the recipient is suspended, expelled, or otherwise removed from the university for any reason, the scholarship is automatically terminated
- A maximum of 60 Cincinnatus Excellence awards are offered annually; awards will be made in the order of receipt to Finalists who complete all Steps to Becoming a Cincinnatus Excellence Scholar
- Learn about our university scholarship guidelines
- The Cincinnatus Excellence award supersedes all other Cincinnatus Scholarship awards with exception of the Cincinnatus Presidential Scholarship, which is awarded to the top scholars in the Cincinnatus Scholarship Program; Presidential-Excellence scholars will still receive the one-time award of $1,500
- Cincinnatus Excellence program limits: Students otherwise awarded funding for the specified components of the Cincinnatus Excellence Scholarship will see their award adjusted accordingly
- Cincinnati Scholarship maximum: Students who receive a university scholarship package in excess of the Cincinnatus Excellence Award assurance should note that total institutional award funds may not exceed the direct costs of attendance plus the University of Cincinnati-budgeted book allowance. This award and all Cincinnati awards are subject to the undergraduate scholarship limits